Earlier today, Minnesota conducted a workout for all the top-rated PGs in this upcoming draft class. Granted, we are 99.9999% sure the Clippers are going to take Blake Griffin as they should, but I've also seen some posts discussing whether we could make a trade that would land us another lottery pick. The general consensus seems to be that if we were to do so,backup PG would be our most pressing need.
And face it, the draft and its prospects are always fun to discuss and talk about.
The biggest thing that jumped out at me was first:
Jonny Flynn displayed the type of personality that made him a fan favorite at Syracuse. The speedy point guard would have the same type of effect in the Twin Cities if the Wolves decided to select him at No. 6. The consistency from the 3-point arc may have separated Flynn and Ty Lawson from the four other point guard prospects.
One of the biggest knocks on Flynn is his outside shooting is suspect, but it looks like he was impressive in the workout.
The writer also ranked the prospects:
Timberwolves.com rates the six point guards at the work out:
1. Tyreke Evans - size, athleticism, and upside
2. Brandon Jennings - ball handling skills, can create own shots, flashy, athletic
3. Jonny Flynn - extremely quick, solid outside shot, great personality, leader
4. Jrue Holiday - size, strength, ability to reach the basket
5. Ty Lawson - speed, range from the perimeter, leader
6. Jeff Teague - scoring mentality, defense, improved each year at Wake Forest
What stands out to me here is that Evans is rated the highest, maybe because he fits in best with Minny, but still impressive considering he is projected to go later in the draft. Seems like Flynn has a lot of the same qualities as Chris Paul. Not saying he will ever get to that level, but just interesting to note.