So, as you may know already, I was at the press availability with the newest Clippers, Craig Smith, Sebastian Telfair and Mark Madsen today. MDsr also answered some questions for the press. The videos are available at the Clippers YouTube Channel, and were linked by Citizen STUCK IN LA earlier today. So the best thing is probably to just go and watch the videos, since pretty much the whole event is there.
- Telfair is much more self aware than I assumed he would be. Three trades in 5 NBA seasons has been a little hard on him, and he's willing to admit that. For a kid who was hyped beyond belief in High School, he actually seems quite down to earth and humble.
- Craig Smith is genuinely excited to be back in LA. He grew up in the city, and played ball at Fairfax high before heading to Boston College. Oh, and after a college career in Boston and three pro seasons in Minneapolis, he's pretty happy to return to southern California weather.
- Mark Madsen is just a hoot. After all these years, people still ask him about the 'parade dance', and he takes it all in stride. Both 'energy guy' and 'locker room guy' were thrown around today. But maybe he's just a nice guy.
There's a little more meat in Dunleavy's answers.
- Telfair was the starting point for this trade, with MDsr getting on the phone shortly after the draft in which the Wolves took two points in the lottery.
- He didn't want to answer any questions about Iverson and Sessions. He did say that they're not necessarily done, but didn't tip his hand at all.
- He's not worried about Griffin's shoulder, and isn't even sure when the injury occurred.
- He was surprised (as I think we all were) by how good Griffin was at making plays for teammates in Vegas.
- He also talked at length about the progress Blake has made with his shooting, and that was the one regret he allowed himself with the injury - Griffin had made so much progress in such a short time, coach just wishes he could be working on the shot now.
It was also interesting just talking shop with some of the guys who were there - it was an online heavy group, with myself and Kevin, Eric Pincus and Andrew Kamenetzky (by the way, the poll was my idea) in the house. Opinions are all over the place as to whether the Clippers will make an offer to Ramon Sessions, what that offer might be, whether it's a good idea, and what the Clippers might do next.
But we're all just going to have to wait and see I guess.