The Hornets are probably going to trade Chris Paul this week - the big question is whether it will include an extension or not. I've been caught up in the hysteria for sure - checking in here and twitter multiple times per minute! Do we include EJ or DJ, or both...yadda yadda. But what hasn't really been talked about too much is what Chris Paul wants.
Here's the running list of what I think he wants (feel free to add):
- Chris Paul wants to win a championship
- Chris Paul wants to play for the Knicks (his friends)
- Chris Paul would love to see Dwight sign with the Hornets
- Chris Paul would like to play with Tyson Chandler
- Chris Paul cares about his reputation and doesn't want to "screw" over New Orleans
- Chris Paul probably doesn't want to go to Boston (according to "sources")
- Chris Paul (and his agent) wants to maximize his salary earning potential
All this to say that this will all come down to what Chris Paul wants - he has all the leverage. It would actually be surprising if he agrees to sign an extension with ANY team not named the Knicks right now.
That leaves all of us to consider - would you roll the dice and trade for him anyway?