After years of Mark Heisler's Dear Donald letters I thought I would give it a shot to the person I feel has the most influence on Donald our long time President Andy Roeser.
As a clipper fan since 1988 and one who used to spend most of his free college nights using his student ID for a discounted ticket at the sports arena(yes I was upset when they raised the cost from $5 to $7) I feel we are embarking on the most important 12 months in history. Yes I know there have been some similar in the Larry Brown and Mike Dunleavy era's but not at this magnitude.
Lets start with Neil Olshey who I felt had done a nice job as GM. We have had heard various reports on what happened that ultimately led to his bolting for Portland. Honestly. while I am a little disappointed I am not as concerned as I am about what happens next.
My antenna was raised after reading the most recent press release on clippers.com. This was where you were asking for our trust and support of the you, VDN and Gary Sacks. This led me to believe that in the organizations usual fashion you were going to take as long as possible to find a replacement. This is the sole reason I felt compelled to write this letter to you.
For truly the first time the Clippers yes my Clippers are the talk of the town and basketball world. I am proud to be a fan and enjoyed going to games this past season. I finally had bragging rights with my friends who have ridiculed me for years. I would proudly wear my clipper nation tshirt whenever possible. For this to continue the organization must make some key decisions. You are the man who has endured Mr. Sterling for all these years and I know at times your hands are tied but now you must push and push hard for all of us fans that have stuck by you through the good and mostly the bad. In my opinion here are the steps that must be taken and taken quickly!
1. Hire a known and experience General Manager--- One that will garner the respect of the players and one that you feel can influence Mr. Sterling (this is possible as Mike Dunleavy was able to do this) This must be done quickly not in our usual fashion like our last coaching search, By July 1st have a multi year contract for a respected GM who then can offer the max contract to Blake Griffin. Also, so the fine tuning and added pieces to the roster can be dealt with to improve the roster.
2. Re-sign Nick Young-- He is one of the few players who is a solid 3 point shooter who can stretch the floor and create his own shot. I expect VDN can find better ways to get more from him next season.
3. Re-sign Chauncey Billups-- Simply for his leadership, knowledge and respect that he brings to his teammates and the organization.
4. Make Gary Sacks Assistant GM-- He deserves a promotion and has good relationships with many agents. Groom him to eventually become the GM he probably deserves it but we just can't afford to take that risk at this crucial time.
5. Continue to build the relationship with CP3-- I do believe he would like to be here long term and I believe he will stay if we do the right things to make us better. Continue on the path as we did this year adding pieces like evans, and martin!
6. Coaching Situation--- I am one that believed that VDN deserved another year. The players respect him and he works hard and is not afraid to admit when he could be better. That being said Andy, you cant be slow to pull the trigger if things are not going well. Even if it means Mr. Sterling has 2 pay 2 coaches for part of a season.
I know that I am just a long time Clippers fan and don't have the professional background to run a team but I hope that you take my thoughts and suggestions to heart as I truly care about the success of our team!
Thanks for listening,
Your Long time loyal fan Frank