|Feb. 27, 2008 - 7:30 PM|
|Brevin Knight||PG||Steve Blake|
|Cat Mobley||SG||Martell Webster|
|Corey Maggette||SF||Travis Outlaw|
|Tim Thomas||PF||LaMarcus Aldridge|
|Aaron Williams||C||Joel Przybilla|
For someone obsessed with the Clippers, I don't go to a lot of games. With ClipperKids and a ClipperWidow, it's just not easy to take the time to get up there to LA. So I watch the vast majority of games on TV.
But when a friend had some Clippers tickets that went unsold in a Charity Auction, it seemed like a perfect opportunity. I bought great seats for the minimum auction bid, and it was for a good cause. So as you may recall, I was in a luxury seat for the Clippers game against the Heat. Of course they lost. To the worst team in the league. But the suite was nice. Good food.
When a friend was visiting from out of town and wanted to go to a game, I bought some seats for the Charlotte game. It didn't figure to be a great game by any means, but it was a likely win. Turns out, that was the first game of flu-season, and neither Kaman nor Maggette played. It's bad enough to be without Brand and Livingston - but that Charlotte game was the first of four straight they played without 4 of their top 5 players. Come on.
Tonight is the second set of charity auction seats. Not a luxury box, but significantly better seats than I would usually buy. And back in December, this figured to be a GREAT game to see.
- It's after the All Star Break! Brand will be playing! Um, no.
- As well as his rehab is going, maybe Livingston will even be back in the lineup! That would be no.
- Portland is on fire! They're going to be fighting for a playoff spot! Um, see, they had started that 17-1 streak when I first got the tickets. But they're 7-15 since then, and haven't beaten a team with a winning record since Jan 9.
- I'll get to see Brandon Roy! See, thing is, Roy's got a sprained ankle and won't be playing tonight.
- I'll get to see Chris Kaman up close! Yes I will. In his suit sitting next to Brand and Livingston because his bad back is still a problem.
- Former Clipper Darius Miles? That would be no. Still not playing.
- Former Clipper Bo Outlaw? Idiot, that's Travis Outlaw who plays for the Blazers.
- Crowd favorite Sam Cassell? No. His "Sprained Wrist" (those are air quotes, not real quotes) will likely keep him out of this game.
Look, I don't mean to diminish the experience of watching Aaron Williams and Brevin Knight, but... oh who am I kidding? That experience sucks. Basically, the Clippers are going to start four guys in whom I have little or no interest. Mobley's a fine player and has done well for the Clippers, but if they traded him this summer for cap relief and a late first round pick I'd be happy. Tim Thomas, make it a second round pick. Of the starters, that leaves Corey Maggette, who is the least likely starter after Williams to actually BE a Clipper next season. Which leaves me watching Al Thornton with particular interest. Because really, what else is there to do?
There's always Nick Fazekas. And a chance to get an up close look at Greg Oden's fro-hawk. He better still have the fro-hawk! If he got another hair cut I'm going to be so pissed.