clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Clippings: The Clippers remain confident in the NBA safety protocol

Two positive coronavirus tests in the NBA bubble haven’t created any extra concerns for the Clippers.

2020 NBA Restart - All Access Practice Photo by Bill Baptist/NBAE via Getty Images

The NBA’s bubble pierced ever so slightly on Monday with the announcement that two players tested positive for the coronavirus while in Orlando and were sent home or into self-isolation.

Both players received their test results before exiting the mandatory hotel room quarantine period, so the hope is that they were unable to pass the virus on to anyone else. However, it still possible that other individuals in their traveling parties contracted the virus and have yet to develop symptoms, which can take up to 14 days.

There was also a report that two players — Bruno Caboclo of the Rockets and Richaun Holmes of the Sacramento Kings — broke the rules of the league’s protocol. Caboclo exited his room during his mandated self-isolation and Holmes stepped outside the bubble to pick up food delivery. Both players are now in additional 10-day quarantines.

Doc Rivers and Kawhi Leonard were asked about their confidence in the safety of the campus environment in response to this latest news, and both had positive outlooks.

“It’s probably grown, if anything,” Rivers said Monday. “I mean, right now, look outside the bubble what’s going on. I mean, right now the United States is on fire in some ways as far as COVID. Here we’ve had two tests. We’ve had two guys, two guys who broke protocol. One I know that was a mistake, and the other one just happened. I’m very, very happy with what’s gone on so far. Does that mean we’re going to be able to pull this off? I don’t think anybody knows that yet. But the guys that I’m hearing, overall not a lot of complaining going on. We don’t have the place to complain when you think about it with what’s going on in the world. No, I’m fine with what’s going on.”

Leonard was seemingly unfazed that the coronavirus had made it it onto the campus site, but remained faithful in the NBA’s protocols to keep players, staff, and league officials safe.

“I mean, it’s no surprise to me that somebody got it within the bubble,” Leonard said. “You bring in so many people from different cities and states, and there’s no control over it pretty much. But I think we’re doing the best that we can. The NBA put together this process, this quarantine, and we’re doing everything under the guidelines of testing every day, trying to keep ourselves socially distant from everyone. But who knows, I mean, what’s going to happen. All we can do is try to stay optimistic about it and positive, and hopefully we can finish this season.”

More news for Tuesday: