Happy Friday, folks. Got any cool shows you’re going to binge this weekend?
Ok, yes, this is an LA Clippers site and we’re a few days removed from arguably the worst loss in franchise history, and either you don’t want to think about this team for a little while, in which case you are probably not on this website at all, or you want to just lay down in the mud, soak up the misery a bit longer.
If you spent a couple days off social media, let’s just say the Clippers-related roastings haven’t stopped.
Even one that wasn’t especially mean-spirited, by the WNBA’s Phoenix Mercury after Shey Peddy’s buzzer-beater Tuesday in their playoff game against the Washington Mystics, took off with the Clippers the butt of the joke.
Can the real Playoff P please stand up? pic.twitter.com/VHX5GZV02p— Phoenix Mercury (@PhoenixMercury) September 16, 2020
Jim Rome made a decent point on his show Wednesday, that there’s plenty of blame to go around for Doc Rivers and star duo Kawhi Leonard and Paul George, although it’s admittedly weird to call George “Pandemic P,” like I don’t even understand what he’s trying to say with that nickname.
Anyway, in a few days, the jokes will mostly stop and the NBA will fully turn their attention to the teams left in the playoffs, although the pain of this Clippers collapse is not going to fade so soon. Expect the players to stay out of the limelight until the preseason ramps up, brace yourself for the haters to keep taunting you, but don’t forget: This will pass. Eventually.
Here’s some news for Friday:
- Heat win again, riding some chemistry: One of the myriad reasons the Clippers collapsed is their chemistry never clicked at the key moments this season. The Miami Heat took a 2-0 lead in the Eastern Conference Finals, and Hot Hot Hoops chronicled the ups and downs of the season as an unlikely group is now two wins from an NBA Finals berth.
- On Adebayo’s great block: More Heat content, with this piece from The Ringer putting Bam Adebayo’s block of Jayson Tatum in Game 1 in context with some of the best ever.
- On Kawhi’s next move: This article from The Ringer argues Leonard needs to get even more ruthless, mostly off the court, to get the Clippers over the hump.
- What’s needed? A point guard upgrade: This postmortem in the LA Times has the intriguing note that a league executive says the Clippers need a big upgrade at point guard for next season. Hmmm...
- Wilson is WNBA MVP: Las Vegas Aces star A’ja Wilson was named WNBA MVP Thursday. She wasn’t quite unanimous choice, but pretty close to it, over the likes of Breanna Stewart and Courtney Vandersloot.